Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Tie for a graduation

My uncle is graduating from University this week. I thought such an occasion deserved a new tie (now that I've ventured into tie-making!).

The first tie I made was from yellow/gold silk dupion. I used the Puking Pastilles pattern*. This time, as well as being inspired by Annie's post on her Village Haberdashery blog, I also used fabric purchased from her marvelous online store. I say marvelous because every time I sew with a fabric purchased from The Village Haberdashery, I swoon and ooh and aah! The fabrics I used felt beautiful and wonderful under my  fingers as I cut and sewed.

They are:



* I must admit to adjusting the pattern. As Annie suggested, I brought in the width of it by half an inch on each side.
I must still be doing something wrong, because the lining and main fabric had the middle section going in different directions.
Parts 1 and 2 of the pattern didn't seem to fit together, the join wasn't at a 45 degree angle. Out came my set square and skizzen paper. And my training as an architect came in handy!

No comments:

Post a Comment